‘An evangelistic ministry of all believers, seeking a transformation of our society and the environment by living in unity and in love, and by practising a holistic form of evangelism to achieve the well-being of the body and soul.’
The Anglican Church was established in Democratic Republic of Congo in 1896 by a Ugandan, Canon Apolo Kivebulaya.
It functioned for its first 76 years under the Anglican Church of Uganda until the first diocese in D.R Congo (Boga Diocese) was inaugurated in 1972.
The Diocese of Aru was inaugurated on 13 November 2005.
It is one of the 10 Dioceses which now make up the province of the Anglican Church of Congo.The diocese now has more than 42,000 registered members, 35 parishes, 7 archdeaconries, 280 chapelles, 88 schools, 8 health centres & 2 hospitals.
The diocese is mainly very rural and the populations, who belong to a variety of different tribes, are mostly involved with agriculture and raising small animals. The two main towns are Arua, the commercial centre, and Aru, the administrative centre.